Sunday, February 25, 2007

California

09/02/07 - 13/02/07

After my first stop in Dallas to see Mom, Dad, Izzy, and of course Leanne, I headed off to San Bernadino, CA to visit my girls at Camp Highland, an outdoor science center for middle school students. Unfortunately for them they will be shut down for about a year...there goes my post-college back up plan. After an intense game of dodgeball on the tennis courts we rested up for the USA Sevens Rugby Tournament in San Diego. Forty-eight matches and nine and a half hours later I still had trouble figuring out what calls the referee was making. Nevertheless it was awesome to watch USA's #1 pile drive a foreigner and the Fijians dominate the field (ps. go All Blacks!!!). We stayed overnight at Alex's apartment (friend of Casey & Josie) where we were fortunate enough to learn the "card game," and compete in old time favorites such as Operation and Battle of the Sexes. Did someone just say tampons? The next day we also walked along the beach (which translates to me running through the Pacific with my jeans rolled up but still managing to soak myself). Then we drove up Mount Soledad which has an enormous lower-case "t" on top. It was a beautiful view of the mountains and the ocean (insert Anchorman joke here). To top off the visit we stopped over for dinner at the In-N-Out...animal style. Monday I convinced Josie and Casey to break in the new BlueWater rope. We were the only people climbing in all of New Jack City! Only got in four climbs but just enough to make me want to come back for more. That evening we had a nice dinner together at Macaroni Grill thanks to the good graces by Mom and Dad. Thanks girls and everyone from Highland for a great visit. See you ladies and Steve (and yes you Jeremy) this summer.


here are my girls (Josie belaying Casey)


Josie belaying Casey...again but on Welcome to New Jack City (5.10a)


look Mom, a helmet!


i finally climb in CA


me about to finish Welcome to New Jack City, a three star classic


the long straight highways that is California (good thing I had plenty of beef and bean burrito leftover for the ride home)